Intern - Data Analytics
The University of Massachusetts President's Office, located in Shrewsbury and Boston, MA is offering a 20 hour a week internship for Spring 2022. This is a paid internship and academic credit may also be available. The selected intern(s) will intern directly with the Unified Procurement Services Team’s Data & Analytics Specialist. Those selected for this internship will gain valuable knowledge of the inner workings of the University of Massachusetts.
Interns positioned in the President's Office have the unique experience of working side by side with the Data & Analytics function. The objective of this internship will be to contribute in making data visually appealing, easy to understand and navigate for end-users. In addition, generate insights by conducting extensive analysis of UMass Procurement and Spend data.
We are seeking problem solvers who have a passion for data and related technologies, a sharp analytical mind and a positive attitude towards work. In the process, you will develop analysis and reporting capabilities as well as business acumen, deep understanding of the procurement business and gain exposure to a wide variety of functional teams within UPST and the UMass President’s Office.
- Design of visually interactive and actionable dashboards that express procurement metrics and KPIs by using data visualization tools - Tableau & Salesforce.
- Assist with data analysis and issues identification, and work with IT professionals to mitigate/ manage issues.
- Gather, acquire and aggregate data business requirements from different primary data sources/systems and prepare weekly/monthly progress reports and ad-hoc reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Interact and collaborate with cross-functional group across IT, Sourcing, Accounts Payable, Service & Quality and others to provide data reporting and analytics support.
- Support and participate in special projects/initiatives to meet the long-term data and analytics objectives and goals for the enterprise.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Current UMass student who is enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree in analytics or MIS.
- GPA 3.0 or higher.
- Strong analytical and communication skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Adept at queries, report writing and presenting findings.
- Creative, eager to learn, motivated, and willing to take initiative on assigned projects/tasks.
- Reliable and detailed-oriented with a strong ability to multi-task, stay organized, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be well organized, detailed oriented, and possess good follow-up skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion when interacting with staff.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office (including Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience):
- Demonstrated data visualization and interactive dashboard experience is highly desirable.
- Familiarity with Tableau and Salesforce platform.
- Hybrid work environment - Able to effectively work from a remote location.
- Any offers of an internship within the President's Office is specifically conditioned upon the potential candidate consenting to and successfully completing a background review.