Strategic Energy Management and Industrial Energy Efficiency Program Manager
The Consortium for Energy Efficiency (CEE) is seeking a motivated, organized individual to join its Commercial and Industrial (C&I) team as a Program Manager focused on Strategic Energy Management (SEM) and high-performance industrial equipment. CEE is a nonprofit consortium of efficiency program administrators, primarily large investor-owned utilities from across the United States and Canada, that work together on common approaches to advancing efficiency. Energy efficiency is consistently regarded as the most cost-effective means of securing additional energy resources. It also directly offsets the need to generate additional energy and is one of the most direct means of greenhouse gas mitigation available. By working together at CEE, program administrators leverage the effect of their funding dollars and exchange information on effective practices to achieve greater energy efficiency for the public good.
The Program Manager position will focus on commercial and industrial SEM programs, which emphasize energy efficiency and energy reduction via operational and behavioral actions. SEM is growing demand side management program, and the successful candidate will support an active group of CEE member utilities and highly engaged industry partners and implementer groups working collaboratively to maximize the energy savings and decarbonization impacts of SEM. This position will also explore new strategies for heat pumps in industrial process heating applications to support both energy efficiency and decarbonization in the industrial sector.
The position is part of a six-person team and will report to the Industrial Sector Lead. The successful candidates will join CEE at a critical time for energy efficiency programs in the United States and Canada. With utility priorities and goals shifting to increasingly emphasize decarbonization and equity in addition to energy and demand savings, members come together through the consortium to promote technological advancements that support clean and affordable generation and energy delivery.
- Facilitate and manage consortium member meetings via video conference and in-person, and actively support members reaching consensus positions on critical topics.
- Assemble consensus positions to develop strategies for driving the uptake of high performing equipment and energy efficiency program approaches that deliver energy savings, load management, and decarbonization impacts.
- Develop and manage initiatives that advance the market for SEM program activities including an explicit focus on decarbonization via energy reduction.
- Conduct research and assess binational market transformation opportunities on topics such as savings potential for technologies like industrial heat pumps for process heating, effective program design delivery approaches, unique partnerships across industry stakeholders, and market barriers to product adoption.
- Compose and publish reports, studies, memoranda, position papers and other professional written products in support of organization and member needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications
- A master’s degree and experience in a relevant field (or undergraduate degree and equivalent experience), such as economics, business, engineering, environmental studies, building science, public policy, or another subject requiring critical thinking and strong analytical capabilities.
- Experience with energy efficient equipment and technologies and a desire to support the market development and adoption of nascent solutions that enhance equipment performance.
- Strong organization and time management skills; ability to balance multiple priorities and evolve project deliverables and priorities develop.
- Excellent written and oral communication abilities, including aptitude to facilitate meetings with diverse stakeholders.
- Demonstrated research and data analysis skills; ability to analyze and synthesize quantitative information for different audiences.
- Strong people skills, service orientation, and the capacity to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Acrobat, and Excel).
- Willingness to travel domestically, averaging approximately one trip per quarter.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience. CEE offers a competitive benefits package including four weeks PTO, 12 paid holidays, health care, life-insurance, and retirement savings.
Work is done primarily on computers, looking at screens for 6+ hours of the workday. Work is currently hybrid with employees expected to commute to in-person events at the CEE office or in the region as needed, including meetings, events, and in-person training. In-person meetings involve domestic travel and multiple days of moving between meetings at hotels and conference centers.
The CEE Office is located at the Ferncroft Corporate Center, 35 Village Rd, Middleton, MA. This facility is convenient to I-95, Rt. 1, and Rt. 128.
Complete applications will be reviewed upon receipt. Please submit the following:
- Cover letter demonstrating your interest in the position, qualifications, and relevant work experience
- Writing sample (5 pages maximum) that demonstrates analytical reasoning skills
Please send application materials via e-mail to Walker Larsen at email@example.com noting the location you found this posting and including the job title and your name in the subject line. Example: “Jane Smith — Program Manager, Industrial Sector”
You must be eligible to work in the United States independent of company sponsorship. CEE is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.